Monday, April 13, 2009

Semana Santa y más

Monday, April 13, 2009
So, this past week was Semana Santa, or Holy Week, which I'm sure as you can guess is the week before Easter, which represents the journey of Jesus through the city of Jerusalem and ends with Easter, the day of his resurrection. Here, it is a pretty big deal, basically as big as Christmas. Everything closes for the second half of the week (Thursday or something). There are tons of processions, which are actually pretty much the same, they just take different routes and end up at different churches. Of course, there are lots of Catholic masses throughout the week. Basically, it s just a week to relax and spend time with the family. Restaurants weren't even open, so there was absolutely nothing to do, unless you had people to hang out with.

I have posted some pictures here that I took of one of the procession that I went to. It was very interesting, and I learned a lot from the local friends that I went with. In the pictures, the banners/flags that are on poles that they carry are called "estandartes." Some of them have gold tassels on them, which are actually made from real gold, not golden fabric. Basically, many churches were represented in this procession, I think about 10 or 15. Each had their own outfit and crest or design. In this procession, there were five floats like you would see in a parade, except they were wooden. Each one was a different important part of the Easter story, and they were carried by people underneath them. One was Jesus carrying the cross, one was him on the cross, and another was an open casket which represented the Resurrection. The whole procession lasted almost three hours, because it ended at a cathedral where they took the floats into the building and had a mass. They also played organ music and prayers over a loud speaker, some of which were recitations of the Lord's Prayer and Hail Mary.

After the procession, my roommates and I and one of our Spanish friends met up with the Spanish girl's boyfriend, who was actually in the procession. We went and ate "tapas" at a local diner, which was really good. Among some of the things we ate were (brace yourself) sliced donkey meat which you put on bread and eat with a little olive oil, as well as some sort of bread dish with a sauce/chili type thing on it made out of blood, yes blood. I think it was pigs blood, but I'm not sure. Either way, it was really good, actually. I'm glad they told us AFTER we ate this stuff though, because otherwise, I'm not so sure I would have tried it. I also found out from my roommates (who are from Belgium, remember) that they eat horse meat back home, which was really strange to me. I know too many people in the States would be up in arms against that.

This past week, I also tried something called Kebab, which is really popular here. It is a Turkish dish that is made from either chicken or beef, but it is sort of like a pita. I mean, it has lettuce, tomato, the meat, a toasted sort of bread/pita thing, and a Turkish sauce that I can't really describe, except that maybe it is like a mix between mayonnaise, Thousand Island, and Barbeque sauce. But, it was delicious! I wish we had it in the States, because it is one of the best things i have eaten here. And, it is really cheap too.

As far as the weather goes, I am completely confused. Three weeks ago it was basically in the 80s. Now, it is hovering around 60. We actually had hail on Friday, but it was only pea sized. But, it hailed for at least 30 minutes...more than it has rained here in the whole two months that I have been here. It was really cool, but very strange. In fact, it got down to the 40s this past week, in the middle of April. I really can't figure it out.

Other than that, I spent the week just working on papers and playing video games on my computer. All of my friends went home or went traveling this week, so I didn't have anyone really to hang out with. I got a lot done, as far as schoolwork goes, so that makes me happy. Be on the lookout for more pictures in the next few weeks. I am going to Portugal in about ten days, and I am going to Ibiza (a Spanish Island in the Mediterranean) in the middle of May. So, I should have some good pictures of the the beach for that trip. I'm REALLY excited, because Ibiza is basically the Bahamas of the Mediterranean. The beaches are gorgeous, and the city is very active. So, I know I will have some really good pictures.

Either way, I hope you enjoy the pics that I have posted from Semana Santa, and I can't wait to see you all again soon. I am almost halfway done with my trip (in eight days I will be), so I will be home before you know it. I hope everyone enjoyed their Easter holidays! Take care guys.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing us Semana Santa week! We get to experience Spanish culture through you.

Looking forward to your next trips.

Momma

Post a Comment