Sunday, February 22, 2009

On the Town

Sunday, February 22, 2009
First, I want to apologize for not updating this in a while. Honestly, there hasn't been anything too exciting going on lately, just trying to figure out my classes, which are still somewhat strange to me. I'm trying to get over the fact that I don't have much homework to do. I keep feeling like I am not being productive, or that I am not doing something right. Either way, I have just been dealing with a lot of that bureaucratic side of colleges: I still haven't gotten my university ID, because the bank where I am supposed to get it failed to tell me that I need a photo of myself as well as proof of registration and enrollment. So, I have to do that Monday before I can even go up to the bank (probably Tuesday) to get my card. It's really frustrating.

Anyway, last night was my first night out on the town. I met up the girl here from GCSU (her name is Sasha) and some of her friends. She has been here since last August, so she knows the town pretty well. Plus, one of her friends that went with us is a local, so she (Maria) showed us around. First, we went to a cafe and ordered ¨tapas,¨ which are little appetizer-like things that you get when you order drinks. Usually, they can be olives, or a small pieces of fish or meat, or cheese or many other things. It's just something to balance out the alcohol in your stomach. Then, we walked to a little café and had some coffee and tea, before we went to some of the clubs. They were dance clubs, but not really like those in the States. I mean, they played more salsa and merengue music, instead of electronic ¨hip-hop¨ kind of stuff. So, I got more of a flavor for the authentic Spanish night scene. The first club was called ¨La Latina¨ and the second one we went to was called ¨El Manuscripto,¨ but the locals just call it ¨Manu.¨

I can't stop here without telling you guys about ¨Carnaval.¨ It's a huge celebration throughout a large portion of Europe during this time of year that is sort of like Halloween in the States. People from all ages dress up and go out on the town. It lasts several days. I mean, I started seeing people dressed up on Friday, and Carnaval in Spain doesn't end until this Tuesday, so basically five days. There are concerts, a parade, and people go out and have a good time with friends, and sometimes even with complete strangers! haha I mean, when we were out last night, we saw witches, pirates, police officers, jailbirds, angels, devils, clowns, hippies, and everything else under the sun. Plus, the people were incredibly friendly. They would just walk up to you and start talking. They would even let you borrow some of their costume pieces to take pictures! It was really great.

People stay out really late too. Plus, my friends told me that it wasn't just because of Carnaval. That's just how the people here are. I mean, we got home around 5:00 in the morning (yes, very late, I know). But, there were still people partying and eating out at restaurants and walking the streets. This is a very animated place. They have a completely different concept of time than we do in the States. I mean, they might stay up until the sun rises, and then sleep for a few hours, go to work at 8:00 or 9:00, come home at 2:00 for a nap until 5:00, and then go back to work. After work, they might start the whole process over again. Not everyone does that of course, and not everyday either. In fact, during the week, most people are home by 1:00 at night at the latest. But on the weekends, they really just let go and relax and have a good time. In fact, one of my friends said that during the warmer months, families with young children (like in kindergarten) will be walking the streets as late as 12:00 and 1:00 in the morning.

One last thing I noticed about this town is that I haven't seen any crimes. I know a lot of people in the States have this perception that Europe is a dangerous place, because of robberies and purse-snatching etc., but I honestly feel extremely safe here. The people are very friendly, and you will almost never be alone on a street. People are out at all times of the day and night. Plus, Valladolid isn't really a tourist town, so I would say that most ¨robbers¨ aren't going to focus here. Madrid was a different story though, as I felt very cautious of my surroundings and aware of what was happening. Although there were tons of people in the streets, it was a very disorganized place (at least in the part where I stayed), so I feel much safer in Valladolid than in Madrid.

Anyway, those are the updates so far. I might be going to Sevilla in the next few weeks or so, since there is a group of exchange students going. If there is availability I will go, especially since it only costs 110 euros for several days worth of activities (the majority of expenses included). Sevilla is in the southern part of Spain, roughly 40 or 50 miles from the coast. In fact, it is only about 100 miles from the northern tip of Africa, the Strait of Gibraltar. Anyway, I will hopefully have more pictures soon, but I can't promise anything. ¡Ten cuidado!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What! no ham for the appetizer? I'm disappointed. Momma

Post a Comment